Monday, December 18, 2017

JAX Marathon: Be Brave!


After I finished Hinson Lake in September, word got around the office that I was into running. The marketing department at our parent company, Ameris Bank, asked if I was interested in an entry to the marathon they sponsor in Jacksonville. I jumped at the offer (free marathon in driving distance - yes please!), until I realized I'd have to leave on Adam's birthday.

Fortunately, Adam is super awesome and encouraged me to go. He'd go to dinner and see Star Wars with friends and we could celebrate the evening I came back.

When I signed up, I knew I would just have to see where my fitness was to figure out how I would race. Of course, I wanted to represent the company well, but I also knew that I hadn't been putting the marathon training efforts that have netted me PRs in the past. Rehoboth was so hard and I wondered how the heck I ran 3:13 prior in the year. But I also knew in the first few miles of Rehoboth that I just did not feel strong mentally or physically.

With my runs being all over the place, I was still kind of hesitant to think I was in top form. But I laid down 4 miles without rest on Wednesday at a 6:42 pace and while I felt like I was working, the miles felt really controlled and really smooth. It was probably too close to race day to do a workout like that, but I have a hard time holding back when everything comes together.

I began my 6 hour drive mid-morning on Friday and arrived to JAX around 4:30 or so. After picking up my packet at the LRS, I connected with some of the Ameris executive team who were having dinner at a beautiful country club. I knew no one when I walked out onto the terrace overlooking the St. Johns River, but everyone was incredibly welcoming and I enjoyed meeting a bunch of really great people. I felt really lucky to be a part of the evening - a reminder that change and chance will often lead to really amazing experiences.

Though I wanted to stay longer and chat, I left around 8:00 p.m. to grab breakfast for the morning and check into my hotel. By the time I laid out my gear and climbed into bed, I was ready to sleep. Fortunately, I had 2 really good nights of sleep prior to race day (much different than Rehoboth!) and felt raring to go when I got up. I had a cup of crappy hotel coffee and a sweet sesame seed bun thing I found at the gas station (not a bagel in sight).

My plan was to park at the school for $20 and save myself the pain of trying to find local parking. Unfortunately, I got there right after the spots were filled so like a lemur, I followed cars in front of me until I got to residential street with street parking. A pajama-clad woman came up to my car door and told me I could park in a driveway next to her house in an abandoned lot. Another runner pulled in behind me and luckily saved me from later disaster when he told me I left my dome light on!

I forgot to grab a heat sheet from my car to wear before the race started and it was definitely chilly in just shorts and a tank. Florida people were wearing long sleeves, gloves, tights, etc. But I knew that if it stayed even that chilly for another hour or two, I would be ecstatic. I stood in line for the porta-potties and then meandered over to the start corrals. The 5K, half, and full all started together, but I was about 15 people back and most people "looked" like they were placed correctly ahead of me. After the national anthem and a 1 minute head start for the wheelchair division, the race started right on time.

In my head, I wanted to start with a slower mile and then drop down to the 7:30s - after that, I would see how I felt. I truly was thinking I'd run in the low 3:20s based on Rehoboth and feeling rested and race- ready. However, I felt really, really good from the start. I was jacked up and ready to race. I dropped into my intended race pace within the first half mile, but it felt easy. Of course, in the back of my mind, I feared that it would come back to haunt me, but I told myself to be brave.

The first 5K looped back to the starting line and it was a bit strange that some people were giving a finish kick right as I was feeling truly warmed up. I can't think of another race I've done where the 5K was part of the half & full - I'll admit I was a little jealous they were done and I still had 3 more hours to go! First 3 miles: 7:32, 7:31, 7:21

The next portion of the course, people had started to sort themselves out and the jockeying for position was much more controlled. I would find myself in little packs of people and sometimes they would surge forward and other times I would do the surging. It is so much easier if someone else is the pacemaker - I'd rather chase than be chased. Luckily, I found a few people who were clicking off low 7:20s and I held onto them as long as we were both holding steady. Miles 4-6: 7:23, 7:24, 7:27

I kind of feel like I screwed up my nutrition (in addition to everything else) at Rehoboth so I was very conscious to take gels every 4 miles. I skipped the water stop at 1.5 miles, but I did make sure I was getting water every stop thereafter. For the first half of the race, I honestly felt like I could feel a little boost a couple of minutes after the gel so I figured that something was working in my favor.

The course headed west and looped around a residential area before the half-marathoners split off and went back to the finish whereas the full-marathoners continued to go south. Miles 7-8: 7:25, 7:08 (wheeee!)

While the long stretches of road were incredibly boring in terms of spectators and scenery, I actually kind of prefer to just put my head down and just run hard. There were no major distractions of turns and I could just follow the shoulder of the road or the white stripe of the center line.

I knew I was racing hard, but I still felt so strong and so confident. I suppose I was always waiting for the wheels to fall off because I was kind of surprised at how good everything felt for so long. My legs were fine, my mind was strong, my feet were great, and while I knew I was working hard, I wasn't red-lining by any means. Every time I'd start to lose a bit of confidence, I shook myself back by repeat be brave, be brave. Miles 9-13: 7:23, 7:19, 7:15, 7:21, 7:21

I hit the half in 1:36:50 - a perfect time if I had negative split the race!

It was definitely lonely in those middle miles. I tried to pick off people when I could and the last girl I remember passing was around the 10 mile point. She'd be the only other female I'd see until I got passed around mile 17 or so.

Though I was definitely feeling the effort of moving for nearly 2 hours, I still felt so much better than I had 2 weeks ago. My mind was still in the game and I was pushing at a comfortably hard pace. I had my music blaring incredibly loud, but I just let the tempo of the beat force a faster cadence. Miles 14-17: 7:17, 7:27, 7:15, 7:26

There was no defining turnaround point, but I did start to feel as though the course was headed back north. Luckily, it was completely overcast almost all morning and so there was no sun to discern which direction we were going. And despite being in Jacksonville, the course was so tree protected that I don't recall it being even the slightest bit windy. I was dumping water over my head to keep cool, but I never really felt warm.

A girl passed me at mile 17ish and she said "good job" as she pulled up alongside me. She looked incredibly strong and though I tried to pursue, I eventually watched her drop the pace as mine started to climb. Miles 18-20: 7:26, 7:25, 7:29

As I reached the final 10K, I tried to do runner math. A strong finish would net me a PR. A sustained finish would get me really close. A bonk would still likely be better than 2 weeks prior unless if something really bad happened. So I tried to hold on as best I could. Be brave. Mile 21: 7:42

I felt as though I started to pay the price for going out so hard as each quarter mile became considerably tougher than the last. The mile markers seemed to be spaced further and further apart. Whereas I'd blink earlier in the race and one would pop up, now time seemed to stand still. Miles 22-23: 7:35, 7:48

With 5K to go, I tried to dig deep. I was calculating when I could start to push and wanted to just give it what I had in those last 20 minutes. Just 20 more minutes of running! Mile 24: 7:40

My legs stopped responding. They felt like cement blocks. I stopped looking at my watch, knowing my pace was slipping away. As I came up to the mile 25 aid station, I went running by a woman out walking her dog. She was in the middle of the road and I got too close to the dog. It jumped up on me as I went by and I gruffed out of annoyance. I waited to see if any adrenaline kicked in and was sorely disappointed. Mile 25: 7:46

There was no gas left in my tank. I was running that last mile as fast I could and there was no give. I ticked off the tenths of a mile as I crept closer to the finish line. Just 5 more minutes. Just 4 more minutes. Then, I saw the track and made the sharp right turn across the field to reach the entrance of the track. The rubberized surface was hardly noticeable to my feet and I wondered how 300 meters seemed so long. Mile 26: 8:15

But I got the top of the curve and hauled myself down the straight. Mile 27: 7:40


3:17:35 - 8th female, 2nd in my age group


A year ago, that would have been a really amazing PR. And it is my 3rd fastest marathon ever just 2 weeks after racing one. I'm happy with the outcome. The best part was how great I felt through the first 20 miles - especially the first 10. Those were some of the best miles I have ever raced in my life. I just felt so strong and so confident.

After I laid down in the grass for awhile, I started to walk to my car when one of the women I had met the night before called out to me. She was waiting on her husband to finish the marathon and so I stayed to grab a few finishing photos for him. Then we ended up get another great group picture at the finish.


I still have no idea what my race plans are for the upcoming months. I'd like to drop my marathon time, but I'd also love to race some ultras in cooler temperatures. I have Boston, NYC, and Rehoboth on the calendar for next year, but I'm waiting to figure out how I fill in the blanks.

1 comment: