Sunday, October 27, 2013

Week 10: Into the meat of this pimento loaf sandwich

Okay kids. With 6 weeks left to Rehoboth, and in the nitty gritty of this BQ-attempt business, I am surprised to find myself feeling quite good.

Part of it is that I had a super relaxing vacation last weekend.  Part of it is because I have decided that a high-fiber, super vegetable diet that I somewhat tried in September was not making my gut happy and I have reverted to my beer-and-nacho ways--which for some unfathomable reason makes my running spectacular.  Part of it is the natural ebb and flow of great running following by poopy pants running followed by great running.  Part of it is that I am going to be running Hood-to-Coast next August (OOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooohhhhh. EEEEEEEEEEEEEMMMMMMmmmm. GEEEEEEE)

The poopy pants running really can dig deep into your psyche.  You begin to question your abilities. You question your goals.

I am currently on the higher part of the roller coaster.  Hoping that I either crash the few weeks in between the race or culminate at the race.

Here's the facts:

Tuesday: Plan was 4 @9:13, Actual was 1.33 in 8:57, 1.33 in 8:00, 1.34 in 8:57
Wednesday: Plan was 4 @9:13, Actual was 4 @8:57
Friday: Plan was 20 @9:13, Actual was 21 @8:07 (splits: 8:19, 8:20, 8:08, 8:20, 8:09, 8:14, 8:05, 8:10, 8:13, 8:14, 8:10, 8:14, 8:15, 8:12, 8:12, 8:05, 8:03, 7:51, 7:48, 7:49, 7:30)
Sunday: Plan was 3X1 @7:17 with 800 recovery, 6 total, Actual was 1 mile warm-up, 7:08, 800 @10:00, 7:03, 800 @10:00, 6:58, 1 mile cool-down

Tuesday and Wednesday were regular ol' recovery runs.

Friday was pure and sheer luck that I ended up feeling as amazing as I did.  No planning on Thursday and just got up like a zombie and headed to Greenway.  It was super chilly that morning and I was pretty much numb for the first 2 miles.  Then I just plodded along, clicking off the miles, dreaming of all the food I would inhale when I was done.  I wasn't feeling bad, but I wasn't feeling particularly great either.  However, I didn't notice too much niggling in any of my problem areas and was happy that I was feeling normal for once.

Once I got to mile 16ish, I started to get my mojo. What????????!!!!! Who the heck finds their mojo on mile 16 of a training run?

But those last 5 miles I started to feel really, really good.  It might have been because I wasn't carrying any more weight in my fuel belt or I was only 5 miles away from being done or I simply found my mojo.  I dunno.  I knew that I had the ability to push, push, push and I could keep going at a comfortable near-tempo pace for the final miles without dying.  I knew I was pushing it.  I wasn't in easy territory any more, but I felt strong and able and wanted to finish strong.

Besides, what was not to love about the beautiful blue skies of a crisp fall morning??

IMAG1259
It was a lovely day for a run...

IMAG1260

This morning was pretty awesome considering I was rocking a McDonald's French Fry costume last night while drinking 3 rum punches, 1 grape Jello shot, and 1 beer:

IMG_175352506458421
And then I decided that I hadn't ingested enough calories so I needed some Steak 'n Shake.

1382848552869
When the alarm went of this morning, I was like, what. the. eff? Who decided to schedule mile repeats the morning after a Halloween party? Doh!

But I put on the my running clothes, sulked around a bit (grump, grump, grump), and mustered the courage to attempt to run while keeping all the bad stuff on the inside.

It actually wasn't half bad.  I'm not sure if it was fueled more by punishment or just general haziness, but I got it done.  Glad it was only 3. Pretty sure I would have just called it a day if was 4.

I realized when I was talking with Heidi, aka northern lass, tonight that I have actually done every single work out so far and hit every single goal.  Makes me feel good about December.  There are still 6 weeks to do a lot of dumb stuff, so I am not smug yet.  Nor will I be when I start, but that's the nature of the beast.  But when you are relaxed, around friends...it's easy to remember at least part of the reason why we do this:


IMAG1287

No comments:

Post a Comment