Friday, January 31, 2014

Snowpocalyse Atlanta: My singular attempt at bacon (and pics of bacon)

The snowpocalyse/snowmaggeddon came to Atlanta this week. By now, you've seen the comparison photos of The Walking Dead and our unprepared city. If not, please get a giggle out of what 2 inches can do to southerners:
I woke up Tuesday morning pretty early because I had a dentist appointment to have a filling replaced at 8am. Not that it would stop me from getting my Dutch Monkey Doughnut fix:
I'm not really one to fear the dentist. It's not like strolling down the Champs-Elysees, but I'm more annoyed that I have to get up early. My dentist is pretty rad, so that helps. With the right side of my mouth completely numb, I headed to the Greenway to try to get my snow run in.

I had loosely on my schedule to do 3 mile repeats with 6 miles total, but I wasn't really feeling it. Almost all of my runs have been run pretty much at +/- 10 seconds at my supposed tempo pace lately so I was feeling kind of out of steam. Ish. I decided to run a warm up mile and see what transpired.

7:51, 7:43, 7:22, 7:20, 7:04, 7:13, last .2 at 7:11 pace. I was supposed to do the mile repeats at 7:14, so... whatever.  I was most bummed that I only caught a few flurries towards the end of my run. Snowrunfail.

I got home and left my running clothes on as it started to come down heavier by the minute. I went trekking through the field in my backyard and probably went about a mile or so in the snow. Yay! It wasn't a real run, but it sure was fun!

The yard slowly started to get whiter and whiter. It was sticking!

The dogs were a little confused. What is this stuff mom? 
We would really prefer to be inside:

Woman! Put the camera down! Let me in the house!!
I had already made bacon beer chili Monday:

So we brushed the snow off the grill and made steak. Logical right?
Wednesday was a snow day from work for both Adam and I. He played lots of Grand Theft Auto, I worked on the taxes. Wait...what? Finally, after a few hours of number crunching, I unearthed a sweet sum of cash and decided to go play in the kitchen. Prepped a huge dish of enchiladas for dinner and made black and white cookies:
Yesterday I headed back to work. Even though my Jeep has 4X4, I still drive like a granny (the opposite of my normal Evil Knievel driving ways) because of the icy patches. Cars were parked all over ditches on the highway and it really looked like we experienced the rapture. Definitely did not look like a normal Thursday morning rush hour in Atlanta.

When I got home, I remembered I needed to sign up for The Flying Pig! Since I was going to walk the 5K with Adam and run-party the marathon, I decided to just go for the gusto and do the 10K too:
I signed Adam up as well. Any and all are welcome to walk with us!
I take for granted sometimes that my legs are 100% healthy. Adam's MS is not troublesome for most activities in life--in fact, I rarely even think about him having it. But walking 3.1 miles exacerbates the issues he has with numbness on his right side. Towards the end, it can be very difficult for him to pick his leg up normally. So, I am pretty excited that he has agreed to not only attend his first Loopfest, but also be walking his 3rd (or 4th if he walks the Atlanta one in March) 5K!

Don't know much about MS? Read this list of FAQs if you're curious.

This morning I headed out to do my 18 miler. I was not anticipating it in the same way I usually do my long runs, but I knew I might feel better once I was out there.

Boy was I wrong.

Snow and ice and slush covered at least half of the trail. Holy moly, that stuff is awful to run in. It didn't help that I wore my Kinvara's which have zero traction and even less stability control.

I was trying to use the power of positive thinking (and smiling!), but my quads were like, yeah, right, good luck with that!

 It was quite beautiful and peaceful--I didn't see a soul for the first 3 miles. But there were definitely sections that were barely touched and I felt like I was running through quicksand:

I actually started to get pretty warm and ended up shedding my half-zip as the temperature rose. It was pretty weird to be running through snow in a short sleeve shirt. Well, it was pretty weird to be running through snow period. 
I'm just glad it's over. I think I was just due for an icky feeling run.  It just happened to coincide with a new physical challenge of trying to not bite it on the ice and/or gain traction on the soft snow. Onwards and upwards!
Looking forward to regular chilly runs without the obstacle course. Lesson learned, y'all can keep your snow!


No comments:

Post a Comment