Monday, January 20, 2014

Supercalifragilistic running and kitchen experiments

Last week, I was supposed to run this schedule:

Tuesday 6 @9:11
Thursday 6 @9:11
Friday 5 @9:11
Sunday 6 @9:11

Ew, cutback week. I welcomed this when I was in the midst of my 17 week training cycle for Rehoboth, but after the taper and post-race recovery weeks, I was kind of looking forward to getting back to the long run.  There is something so satisfying about those long runs (not to mention the beer-and-wings post-long run dinner tradition that I can salivate about why running).

But I am trying to do something sort of on my schedule 'cause it is clear that I am not running those paces.

So I stuck mostly to the mileage..

Tuesday 6.2 @7:15--I blooped about this last week
Wednesday 5 @8:34 at a 1% incline with the last mile moving 1% every 1/10th of a mile until I was running on a 10% grade.
Friday 8 @7:30 Splits: 7:44, 7:37, 7:34, 7:39, 7:28, 7:37 7:25, 7:02
Sunday 6 @9:08 with Heidi (aka northern lass)!! Splits: 9:09, 9:06, 9:18, 8:50, 8:58, 9:14

Today I ran my tempo that was scheduled for this Thursday. It was supposed to be 6 total, with 4 @7:41.

I ran 6.2 @7:14 pace. Splits: 7:23, 7:13, 7:01, 7:04, 7:26, 7:19, last .2 at a 6:50 pace

Wednesday was a mostly easy workout until the last mile.  I decided to add the hill workout at the end. It was some serious anaerobic effort towards the last few minutes, but differently hard than speed work.

Friday was one of the best runs I've had in a long time. I felt strong, happy, and loving every second of being out on a beautiful day running. I honestly felt like I was holding myself back for about half of the run and then just decided to push it a little harder at the end.


I totally forgot to snap a shot of Heidi and I on Sunday morning. But it was absolutely fantastic to run together. Every time I run with someone (which isn't too often), I am always amazed at how fast the time goes by. We talked about running, racing, cars, and plans for the next few months. I'm hoping to twist her arm to run the Georgia marathon with me the week following Shamrock!

Today was another beautiful day for running--upper 40s and sunny. I did my warm-up mile in 7:23. Oops. Was going to just do the first 4 miles at tempo pace after that and try to relax after that. Oops. I did ease up my effort the last 2 miles, but I knew I was still going sub-8. Oh well!


This week in the kitchen, I decided to test a lasagna recipe before subjecting my sister's friends to it. We are renting a cabin in Tennessee next month for her bachelorette party and as hostess, I am in charge of the menu!
I have been slowly working on my winter beer collection and trying to eat more veggies.  I've been obsessed with sauteed kale this week:
Luxy does not do green veggies or beer. Weirdo...
Friday night is date night and we opted to stay in this week and grill steaks since our 3rd and 4th wheel were out of town.  Washed it down with a delicious bottle of wine from the local vineyard we are wine club members of. They make surprisingly good wine considering Georgia is not really known as the Napa Valley of the South. Lolz..
Oh yeah, I made Mexican hot chocolate cupcakes for dessert. Another kitchen experiment.  They turned out just spicy enough.
Today, I finally got around to refilling my peanut butter container. I, like many runners, are kind of obsessed with peanut butter. Ever since Adam got me a Vitamix, I have made it at home from dry roasted peanuts. The hard part is not eating half of when transporting it to the container. Especially when it is slightly warm and perfectly gooey.
And what kind of blog would this be if I didn't leave you with a few pictures of the BTs?!?!








No comments:

Post a Comment