Sunday, October 5, 2014

What's Your Happy? Version 2.0

Awhile back, I wrote a post entitled I ask, what's your happy? It was a small list of random specific things that make me happy.

But you know, people evolve. Our tastes and desires change over time and that's okay. I looked over the few things that I shared on that list and realized that most of the things have rung true for quite some time. Aside from the 4 years I was a vegetarian in high school and would have not found the medium rare ribeye enticing....

Why are you bringing up this particular topic QC?

Twofold people, twofold.

1) I enjoy thinking about things that make me happy.
2) I feel like my running is only just beginning to evolve.

1) Here are a few more things to add to the list: a hoppy IPA, the crackle of a campfire, a midday nap with the windows open, a cheddar cheeseburger on a toasted bun, impromptu dance parties in the kitchen, a perfectly toasted marshmallow, the first daffodil of spring, crossing the finish line, driving fast with the windows down, a baby giggling, cinnamon brooms, a summer blockbuster with a large popcorn....

2) It's kind of crazy how my running has exponentially evolved. I've been running 20ish years, but became a 1000+ miles per year runner in 2006. I was cool with just running for fun and fitness until I ran a marathon in 2009. Because normal people begin with the marathon distance right? Then, mostly thanks to the jokers I met on the internet and their annoying positive peer pressure, I went from running my 5th marathon in March 2013 and will likely end 2014 with #12.

I've always been intrigued with the endurance needed for an ultra, but I think about crossing the line at 26.2 and cannot fathom going further. But after Boston, I will need a new challenge, right?

Shameless cute Boston plug:

I looked at The List today, aka the bucket list, and realized that it was glaringly missing run an ultra.

Many of you might be all like, duuuuuuuuuh... snooze....we all knew that. But to newbie runners (dream big!) and those full of years of running wisdom (keep evolving!), it's always fun to look forward to the next chapter, right? I love the anticipation as much as the event itself! I'm not sure what 2015 has in store for me, but I'm excited to keep conjuring up new adventures.

For now, I'm doing a modified 8 week plan to gear up for Marshall (um, still 100% committed, but well, you know...). I'll do 16 Saturday, 20 on the 17th and taper for 2 weeks. Goal: 3:30-3:35 if I feel good.

This week I ran 21 miler that was really warm. I drank 2.5 liters of water during the run. I had a weird toe cramp. And I just was over the whole thing after mile 11. I ran a really great pace, but I just never found my groove. I consoled myself with a Frosty and french fries in the car and later in the ice bath, a beer and bag of potato chips.



I spent the rest of the day eating and rehydrating.


Thursday, I ran after work. My left hip was feeling oddly tight all day and I was hoping the run would help loosen me up. It didn't hurt, but it didn't help....so...yeah...
I was going to run yesterday, but my hip was still feeling a bit funky and let's be honest, that snooze button was far too alluring. We spent Friday night checking out our friends new loft downtown and I didn't get to bed until 1AM.
And I worked until 7:30pm, so by the time I left, it was getting a bit dark to run outside.
So, naturally, I just ran 10 today! It was sooooooooooooo nice to run in 40 degree weather. First capri run since, um, March? April? It was like the 18 miler I had a couple of weeks ago. Strong, awesome, and absolute runner perfection.


And now dear readers, much like in my first post, I have to know What's Your Happy?


No comments:

Post a Comment