Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Race, Rest, Recovery, Retrain, Repeat!

I rested for 2 days after Marshall. I had a little bit of the Frankenstein walk on Monday and Tuesday, but I was surprisingly ready to run by Wednesday. So I took to the treadmill for a nice easy 4 miles. Maybe it was because I was expecting the worst that it actually felt great?

I gave myself a week to eat/drink more garbage than usual.

But as the week wore on, the but I ran a marathon Sunday! excuse seemed to wear a bit thin, even for me. I was putting in a few 11 hours days of sweating type work at work (re: evil Christmas tree sale) and so I decided to just wait to run again Sunday.

Rest, recovery, and sleep made me feel sooooooo good. The dogs were like, duuuuuuuuuh. We do it all the time!
 It was a crisp morning and I was ready to get back out there.

I didn't look at Penelope (my Garmin) at all! I just ran by feel and knew I was pushing the pace, but I felt strong and comfortable. The only thing that felt a bit off was my left calf and right hip towards the end. They both felt a little sore over the next few hours.

Yesterday, Adam and I both had the day off.  We ate sandwiches at Which Wich and saw an afternoon movie--Interstellar. So I sat on my butt for 3 hours and then came home to sit on my butt for another few hours watching TV. Calf and hip didn't mutter a peep.

So I went out this morning and the hip seems to be fine, but the calf is still tight. I felt it the worst in the middle miles, but then it didn't seem to bother me at the end. Weird. I'll stick and foam roll and try to take it slower  see what happens over the next few days.

I didn't look at my watch again today, but I didn't feel very good. I am pretty sure it was because I didn't really have much of a dinner last night and too much coffee this morning. I was surprised it was the same pace as Sunday's run.

It was a really, really beautiful morning to run though and I went back to my car to take a few pictures of the Greenway. Which is kind of the brown/yellow-way right now.





I didn't really have much I had to do today so I actually just laid down in the leaves for a few minutes and listened to my iPod. It was pretty zen.

I don't have any goals at this point in Rehoboth so it's all about maintenance at this point. I'll know closer to race day if I feel like donning a tutu and galloping around the beach or if I feel like I still might have a little gusto left in my sails. With Boston training just around the corner, I think it'd be wiser to just enjoy 26.2 with some of my internet buddies.





No comments:

Post a Comment