Thursday, April 4, 2013

Bon Voyage: I'll be back in 10 days!!

I should be finishing packing.  Or checking in for my flight.  Or doing something productive to get ready for my trip tomorrow.  But I've been getting ready for 3 days now.  Plus, I'm going to be gone for 10 days, so I don't want people to forget me.

Adam and I, my sister and her boyfriend, my brother, and my husband's best friend (did you get all that??) are leaving to go on a cruise tomorrow.  We fly into Miami (where my in-laws live) and head out for 7 days at sea on Saturday afternoon.  Cozumel, Belize, Honduras, and Grand Cayman are on the docket. When we get back, we'll stay in Miami through Monday to visit with Adam's family for a few days.  My birthday is on the 14th so I'm looking forward to celebrating while on vacation!

I've packed my running clothes and hope to get in a workout at least 5 of the 10 days I'm gone.  I usually have a good track record of running while on vacation so I hope this trip is no different.  Last year I ran 30K for my 30th birthday on the treadmill while on a cruise ship at sea. This year, I'll be shooting more for a 5K (3.1 for 31 years).  For some reason, I ​hate​ running in Miami and I'll be on land on Sunday. I certainly get plenty of practice running in the heat and humidity in Atlanta, but good God, I loathe running in south Florida.  My in-laws live about a mile from the beach, but I never feel those ocean breezes for some reason.  First world problems...

I have had 2 very different runs this week.  One was on the Roswell Greenway and was absolutely terrible and the other was on the treadmill and was pretty great.  Normally my better runs occur outside, but unfortunately that was not the case Tuesday night.  I went to a different Greenway than I normally run as it is less than a mile from my work and would give me a tad more sunlight for a 7 miler after work.  I was excited to enjoy a little bit different scenery, but after I got going, I was quickly reminded why I prefer ​my​ Greenway.

Cement sidewalks are the devil.

Save for a small portion at the beginning which is a gravel path, the rest of the Greenway is cement.  This made my legs cry out for the lovely boardwalks of my usual haunt.  In addition to the pounding of the cement, I just felt awful.  The weather was absolutely perfect, but I felt I was working so hard for my pace which was hovering just about 8:00mm.  It reminded me of how I felt after I got out of the pool after swim practice when I was a kid.  Pure cardio exhaustion. 

On a separate note, this thought reminded me of how terribly slow I was as a swimmer.  Did you know that green is the color of a 6th place ribbon? I collected many a green ribbon on the swim team....

Anyway, I hate runs that the entire time I am thinking 'I HATE YOU BODY'.  I was just so elated when it was over.  It's been awhile since I've had a terrible one like that, but I suppose I was due.  The good news is that I felt mostly back to normal today, so I'm not sweating it.  Hopefully the vacation will give me a chance to give my poor retail legs/feet a little rest.  Bon voyage!!

No comments:

Post a Comment