Tuesday, December 16, 2014

QC is keeping the bench warm

Well, well, well. Guess who has gone and earned herself a rest break?

Apparently, maybe, I have bursitis. I went to the GP today after a week+ of pain. She asked me a myriad of questions about the pain (burning sensation, worse in the morning), location (right behind my Achilles), last marathon terrain (mix of hard-packed gravel and pavement), training beforehand (um, I ran another marathon 5 weeks prior), and what I had taken for the pain (a painkiller every few days, but mostly beer and wine). I had taped it all week, but it really didn't seem to do much of anything:


The good news is that bursitis is not life-altering and I will run again in the near future. The bad news is that I have no idea how long it will take to be pain-free. Might be this weekend. Might be in a few weeks. I'm okay to chill out for a bit longer. I think.

I was prescribed some high-dose Aleve and told to reduce running as much as possible. Fortunately, the GP had a marathoning father and knew firsthand that it's really hard to tell a runner no. If things aren't better in 2 weeks, I am to report back for further poking and prodding.

I ran 3 miles last Tuesday and while I didn't have to alter my gait, I felt my Achilles the entire time. So now it's just time to enjoy a little down time and appreciate the other stuff in life.

I've been doing a little food/drink self-medicating. Sofa surfing does have its merits.


But I've also been able to spend a little more time in kitchen since reclaiming a few extra hours each week:

I've been getting ready for Christmas. Shopping, wrapping, and decorating:

And I've been celebrating birthdays. Adam's was yesterday:
My friend Angela's was today. I left a gift bag with a bunch of balloons tied to it on her driveway today.
I've been receiving gifts as well! Steve sent me this customized hoodie:

Can't wait to wear it to my next Loopfest! But for now, I'll be sofa surfing:






No comments:

Post a Comment