Sunday, June 30, 2013

Captain Lazy Pants ran fast and is hypnotized by new car smell

Oh look, it's time for my Sunday night bloop. True Blood is on, I've got my wine, but dang, I didn't get the run in tonight that I wanted.

I was going to run 5-8 miles tonight after work, but I ended up staying an hour and a half later because a pesky customer just would. not. stop. shopping.  I ended up taking my sales associate home because she normally takes the bus and I felt bad that the customer was keeping us there until much, much later.  So, now I was 2 hours past what time I should have been leaving for work.  Decided that I was just going to take it as a sign from the higher being to take a rest day.  Either that, or I really should stop being a slacker in the morning.  I had plenty of time to run before work, I was just being Captain Lazy Pants.

But it's not all bad news. I can run tomorrow after work and be in a much better mindset to get out there and enjoy myself.

I ran Thursday night after work--a nice little 5 miler at 7:53 pace.  It actually felt, well, pretty easy.  And it was hot outside. This makes me excited about fall running because I've been slowly lowering my pace over the years and it's currently at an all-time low (this millennium).

Friday, I was going to just run a few miles.  But then I decided to do some speed work 'cause I was all jacked up from my iced coffee. So I did a mile warm-up and 5x800's.  I probably could have gone a little faster--as I only felt like I was getting anaerobic on the very last tenth of a mile on the very last one.  Cool! I did 'em in 3:45, 3:40, 3:29, 3:25, 3:20.  Considering I haven't done any regimented speedwork since, um, March, I'm pretty stoked that I was running decent 800s!

Friday afternoon, Adam and I went car shopping.  His car, a 15 year old Honda Civic, has been on the chopping block for quite some time.  However, his check engine light came on last week and we decided that it probably was time to start looking.  Looking turned quickly into buying and within 24 hours of our first test-drive, we ended up buying a new car!

999015_10151575957763392_643172452_n

It's a fancy grown-up car with leather seats and all sorts of touchscreen buttons that I am sure to never know what they are for.  Last night, I made Adam go to Chipotle with me so I could drive the car.  We spent 5 minutes in the Chipotle parking lot raising and lowering the power seats and turning on the car seat heaters in 80 degree weather with the A/C on.  Last night, before we went to bed, we went and climbed into the car in the garage again to inhale the new car smell.

Fortunately, even though I didn't run today, I did manage to get my pushups in before I went to work.  I started June 1st doing 25 girly pushups and 5 manly pushups.  Today, I was able to do 5 sets of 20 manly pushups!!!!!!  There wasn't too much difference in my arm appearance, but I am absolutely floored by how much easier the pushups got over the past month.

The top pic is June 1st, middle pic is June 15th, bottom pic is June 30th.

pushupssss

I hate ending June on 2 days of not running, but I am proud of the fact that I have been running more than half of my summer runs outdoors.  Normally I eschew the heat and humidity, but I am attempting to make amends this summer. I ain't making promises for July and August, but I will definitely try to do more outside when possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment