Sunday, June 9, 2013

The many ways a marathoner can be lazy

Not training for a race can be hard work.  I'm trying to vary my routine and keep my runs interesting, but I might have overdone it a bit lately.  Too much speed, an increase in mileage, and the bane of my life--being on my feet all day at work with many work days in a row=achy feet.  I've been doing the retail thing for 11 years now and can stand on my feet for 16 hours at a time without really much issue.  However, compounded with many days in a row of running and perhaps a shoe issue, I am experiencing some plantar fasciitis in my left foot. 

I taped my foot last night after a particularly noticeable ache in my foot all day.  The good news is that with a little rest and care, it can go away.  The bad news is that it comes back when stop being careful.

kt tape

I ran Thursday without looking at my watch once.  I ran it by effort and tried to maintain between a 60-70% push.  I was happily surprised to see that despite the warm evening, I was still maintaining a sub-8 pace throughout the run.  Splits: 7:39, 7:43, 7:37, 7:57, 7:51, 7:29

Yesterday, I was feeling pretty good after a day's rest, but I could tell my foot was having issues all day.  At first, I was keeping it nice and easy.  The humidity was ​only ​around 50% so it started out pleasant enough.  But being around the creek and foliage must have created swamp-like conditions because I was quite literally dripping wet with sweat about a half mile into the run.  I rapidly grew uncomfortable even though I was dressed appropriately and tied my 'fro back into a knot so it wouldn't slap against my back.  My nice n' easy turned into get-this-done.  Splits: 8:01, 7:52, 7:49, 7:36, 7:38

I am on my 2nd pair of the Brooks Pure Flow 2s and the narrower toe box is arguably aggravating my PF.  Plus, the burrito-style lacing causes extra snugness unless I undo the lacing each time I go for a run.  I'm not sure how I can go run for 16 miles but taking an extra 90 seconds to fix my shoes seems annoyingly difficult.  I am hoping the 3s are a little wider in the toe box or else I might have to look at trying to get some 1s since I didn't have any issues with those. 

I often find it funny how even though I'm so non-lazy when it comes to doing certain things (running, working, cooking), I can be soooooo lazy when it comes to other things.  I do laundry as quickly as possible and though I'm type A about keeping my closet organized, I have broken a few too many hangers trying to shove things in there as quickly as possible.  I will go running for a few hours and then stand in front of the refrigerator eating lettuce straight from the crisper because I'm too lazy to make a proper salad.  Dump a few croutons in my mouth after the lettuce--it's all the same to me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment