Wednesday, October 3, 2012

I peeked only twice and (always) a shoe question

All that suffering in the summer paid off.  I am LOVING fall running.  Or maybe I am just loving that the humidity is no longer standing on my lungs.  Either way, I am oh-so-happy that I am feeling a little pep in my step.  I ran my 7 miles today in an average of 7:43.  Sweet! 

The best part is that I only looked at my Garmin twice.  Once at the turnaround/water fountain pit stop when I kind of had to look at it to pause it.  The second time was when I was almost finished and I wanted to see how fast I was going on the final mile--I couldn't help myself.  But, I am pleased that an almost naked run still produces some nice speed.  It was definitely a tempo effort, but there were a couple quarter miles that I felt fully relaxed. 

On a separate note, I have noticed that my feet have started to do their I-need-new-shoes thing a lot sooner than I expected.  Normally, I get about 400-500 miles out of my shoes--once every 3 1/2-4 1/2 months I need a new pair.  But this is the first time that I have worn a minimalist style shoe.  I bought them on July 20th (I checked the receipt in the box), which means that I have only about 300 miles or so on this pair. 

I am thinking that it is fairly obvious that minimalist shoes will wear out faster simply because they have less cushion and are more flexible to begin with.  But just to make sure I am not crazy, I'm curious if other minimalist wearers noticed this.  I went from wearing a lot of the Brooks Adrenaline and Mizuno Wave Riders to a Brooks Flow.   

No comments:

Post a Comment