Sunday, December 16, 2012

Strategy for #5, aka learning from my dumb mistakes

After my 12.12.12 run, I decided to just stay with the status quo this week.  I ran an easy 5 on Friday night and an easy 6 this morning.  Friday's run was meh, but luckily today's was a little better.
I'm still a couple of weeks away from official marathon training.  I get nervously excited about raring back up each January for the March race.  I am hoping that I continue to learn what works and what doesn't work with my training and racing.  As I've said before, I am going to work on 3 things: slower long runs (no more faster than race pace 20 milers!!!), hill training, and strength training. 

We'll see if the combination gives me a PR or not.  At this point, I'm not really gunning for a PR on this course.  I think if I had good training and a good race on a flatter course, I could shave some decent time off my PR.  However, this hilly beast is difficult even under good conditions.  I'm hoping for good weather and for my body to cooperate.  Otherwise, I will just try to relax and enjoy the sweet reward of another 26.2 on the books.

Adam's birthday was yesterday and we celebrated by going to The Capital Grille.  We ate waaaaaaaay too much, but it was super delicious.  I had calamari, a blue cheese wedge salad, filet oscar (yum!!), creamed corn, truffle parmesan fries, and chocolate hazelnut cake (double yum!!).  We split a bottle of shiraz that both of us really enjoyed.  I've been drinking a lot more pinot lately, but I will always have a place in my heart for the full-bodies. On the way home from dinner, we cheesed out singing along with Christmas songs on the radio.

All that fatty, yummy food caused some serious snooze button issues this morning.  I was so groggy and did not want to get up to run before work.  I was really on the verge of not running, but I knew I would regret it.  Once I got going, I was (of course...) happy that I decided to get my lazy butt out of bed....

No comments:

Post a Comment