Monday, December 31, 2012

The Quiz: 2.0.1.2 version/366 days of fabulousness

The annual year-in-review.  2012 style.

1. What did you do in 2012 that you'd never done before?
Ran a half-marathon, visited the Bahamas, shot a gun, did some freelance writing

2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
No resolutions for 2012=no resolution failures.  I want to run a sub 3:50 marathon, but we'll see.  I'll be happy to run/jog/walk/stumble across the finish line for #5. 
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Not this year.  Lots of friends and acquaintances preggo though.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Thankfully, no funerals this year.  A friend of a friend passed from cancer this year, but I dodged the death thing in 2012.

5. What countries did you visit?
Bahamas!

6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
More motivated running, a maid service, more time spent with friends (always a wish!)

7. What date from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
September 4th--the day I started a new job after 8 years at the same company and my first 'real' job.  It was sad and exciting at the same time.  I loved working for WS and actually exclaimed many, many times how much I loved my job.  But some ugly stuff happened in the final months and I had to stop making excuses for being miserable and start being brave.  For the record, it was bittersweet, but absolutely the right choice.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Changing jobs

9. What was your biggest failure?
Not believing in the beauty of my dreams

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
A food poisoning incident in July that I actually left work early and missed a day for (ugh!!!) and a rolled ankle that kept me from running for a long weekend.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
An awesome vacation with my friends.  Plane tickets to Grandma's 90th birthday party.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My husband. Always. For putting up with my girlish drama, for making me laugh, for being ridiculously sweet, and for loving me unconditionally.  I didn't know you could love so much more after the butterflies subsided, but I'm pretty thrilled that I get to love more with each passing day.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Nothing changed from last year (or any previous year): "The rude and angry public that lack manners."  I'm too classy to name other names. Ha!

14. Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage, groceries, date night, the cruise bar tab.


15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The cruise, the epic rafting/shooting range/bowling/party weekend, a new job, Grandma's 90th, meeting a real live Loopster (aka Flying Tomato), running marathon #4/half-marathon #1, the Olympics

16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
"Call Me Maybe", it' okay to judge me


17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? H-A-P-P-I-E-R
ii. thinner or fatter? same-ish.  I dunno, not as toned, but not as girthy? who cares, except me?
iii. richer or poorer? richer--Adam and I got new gigs with mo' $$

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Not too much.  I don't have too many regrets about time spent in 2012. 

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Getting up at 4:30am.  Waiting for life to change me instead of me changing my life. Worrying, always worrying.

20. Did you fall in love in 2012?
Never fell out of love....

21. How many one-night stands?
Zero, that same guy keeps sleeping in my bed :)

22. What was your favorite TV program?
Parenthood, New Girl, 90210

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Yes, but classy broads never name names.

24. What was the best book you read?
"Born To Run", the Hunger Game trilogy

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Pandora streaming on my phone

26. What did you want and get?
A Vitamix.  It still is awesome almost a year later.

27. What did you want and not get?
A Dyson.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Yes, I'm 30 and yes, I liked the final Twilight movie.   

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, it was epic.  I was on a Bahamas cruise with a few of my besties and my awesome siblings.  I ran a 30K for being 30 in the morning, chilled during the day, and had a crazy awesome evening with formal night and birthday shots.  I am pretty sure that it was the most fun one is allowed to have.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Being at peace with myself about the choices I make.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
I finally bought a pair of skinny jeans and slouchy boots.  I bought 6 v-neck t-shirts in assorted colors from Target that are staples in my wardrobe.  Lots and lots of running clothes.

32. What kept you sane?
Running, shooting a gun, making new friends, wine

33. What political issue stirred you the most?
Oh my.  I'm just happy my candidate won.  The only other great things to come out of election year 2012 were the awesome Google chats/Twitter feeds.  I love technology!

34. Who did you miss?
Seeing my besties every day.  But that just makes our interactions that much sweeter.  Love all of you!

35. Who was the best new person you met?
Flying Tomato-he allowed me to be comfy with a running friend and coerced me into a half-marathon. 

36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012:
“I had as many doubts as anyone else. Standing on the starting line, we're all cowards.” -Alberto Salazar
Change is good.
Eat more kale.
Stepping away from what's familiar can reap valuable rewards. 
My brother and sister are siblings, but they are also great friends.  I'm lucky like that.
Each year, I do a lot of dumb stuff (it's fun!!!!!!!!!!!), but I also continue to gain a little wisdom with my age (wahoo!!!!!!!!!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment