Thursday, May 30, 2013

Summer has arrived

I always feel like I just blooped and then realize it has been nearly a week since I went blah, blah, blah.

Sunday, I went running on the hills outside my front door.  The run started decently enough.  It was still early enough that I got a little shade and there wasn't much road traffic.  I ran out to the sidewalk area (re: evil concrete) on the main road about a mile from my house.  There is a big yucky up and down hill that isn't so bad on the 1st mile, but is terrible on the final mile.  I ended up coming back a different way (and adding another 2 miles onto my run) just to avoid it.  Cars were out at this point and I had to jump into the brush in the shoulder a few times to avoid becoming roadkill.

It's only about 150 feet of ascent in a half mile, but I still took a 2 mile detour:

elevation chart

Splits: 8:13, 8:16, 8:04, 8:09, 8:04, 8:12, 8:01, 7:48, final .3 in 2:29 (8:14 pace)

Tuesday night, I went to the Greenway for a 5-miler.  All the fairweather cyclists were out and in death mode.  I got nearly sideswiped with each mile.  And of course, the 'good' cyclists who were wearing helmets and calling out their presence were not the ones causing the ruckus.  It was the helmetless jerks who felt the need to bike at 20mph on the Greenway even though there are signs posted all over stating the cyclists must go only 10mph.

Apparently all it did was get me hot and angry.  Splits: 7:52, 7:45, 7:49, 7:51, 7:44

This morning I went out for 16 miles.  I had dreamed about Loopsters the night before (mostly because I'm stupid, ridiculously excited about Rehoboth!!!) and was feeling good mojo on my way out the door.
 carissa running


This was solidified by a Boston Terrier sighting at the trail head.  I probably freaked out the guy with the BT (and another pup) with my over-exuberance.  I love my BTs:

my fuzzles

I knew it was going to be a hot one, so I planned to try to stay as close to an 8:30 pace in the beginning as my I-want-to-run-fast-all-the-time self would let me.  The first few miles went along pretty good.  I was feeling happy to be out in the sunshine and I was finally not going too fast.  But as I got close to mile 5 and my first Gu, I realized that I was almost out of liquid.  Normally, I'm easily okay until the water fountain at mile 6.75.  2 10-ounce bottles gone in 5 miles--must be hot!

I refilled at mile 6.75 and drank about 8 ounces at the pit stop.  I started to feel a little better in the next miles, but noticed that I was almost out again close to mile 10.  There is another water fountain near a park off the path so I stopped again to refill.  Not too long after I got going again, my iPod ran out of juice.  Great, now I was going to have to listen to my sloshing and heavy breathing for the rest of the way.  It was getting hotter and I was starting to feel most uncomfortable.  My Garmin has been acting funny and lost satellite at probably the worst time--when I was feeling over and done with the run around mile 12.

I contemplated cutting the run short at 14 miles which would be when I reached the trail head again.  But when I got there, I kept running past the paved area and into the woods.  People obviously run and bike back along the trail, but with the impending summer, it was pretty thick with underbrush.  I ran about a half mile out and had more satellite issues. 

I went back to the trail head again and finished the 16 miles on the paved portion.  I had been dreaming of a Frosty for about half of the run and quickly hustled to my car to go get my sweet reward.  It tasted so delicious.  I sat in the parking lot for a few minutes slurping on it until I got a brain freeze.

After I got home, ate, and took a shower, the compulsive need to nap came on strong.  I needed to go the grocery store so I promised myself I could collapse after I finished that.  I don't know why sometimes I get so sleepy after some long runs.  Probably a combination of the sun and heat--it's like beach tired.  Without all the sand in your swimsuit. 

It was an awesome nap....

No comments:

Post a Comment