Wednesday, August 8, 2012

I'm training to....keep my wine calories in check

Most of my run today was pretty status quo.  I finished a movie and started watching some videos on YouTube to bide the last 15 minutes of my run.  I have been hanging out with my treadmill a lot since summer's evil twins heat & humidity have been brutal.  Thus, I have watched a lot of movies and TV.  And I'm not really even much of a TV person.  But staring at the wall is mentally fatiguing after about 3 minutes.

I got pumped up on my final mile--watching USA Swimming's 'Call Me Maybe' video for the umpteenth time (it's so wonderfully cheesy).  It's been awhile since I've done some real speed work.  But I felt pretty great.  And I want to run a mile fast.  So I rested for a couple of minutes, picked a new fun song, and cranked up the speed.  After 7 miles at 7mph, I managed an 8th mile at 6:50. 

Woot!

I don't know that I will ever go sub 6:00 again like I did in high school, but I'm happy with a sub 7:00 on a 'just because' whim.  All it took was a little bit of mental motivation today.  I'm hoping that in 6 weeks time, I can comfortably return to outside runs with regularity again.  I 'spose it would be important if I were training for something, but it's all about maintenance and keeping those wine calories in check right now. 

Shoe update: once my calves adjusted to the minimalist qualities of the Pures, I am happy to report that I feeling good about my change.  The longest I've run in them are 8 miles, so it'll be interesting to see how I feel once I test them on a double digit run.  My ankle is still a little tight from rolling it last month, but I think once I am 100% healed, I will feel great about my change.

No comments:

Post a Comment