Monday, July 2, 2012

Runners make the worst patients

Most of us runners probably aren't good patients.  After all, there is time lost while being sick and then that weird time afterwards that you try to regain your strength.  Usually it's too much, too fast, and it feels like you just started running for the first time.

I'm currently in the being sick phase.

Saturday was status quo at the Liebowitz castle until about 8pm.  Adam and I both worked.  I ran 4 miles after work.  We started to watch the Olympic swimming trials (!!!!) and Adam started to feel headachy and nauseous.  He moaned on the sofa for awhile and I thought it was MS/heat-related issues.  When he got up so we could go to bed, he tossed his cookies.  Poor guy.  Unfortunately it happened again in the middle of the night.

I felt fine when I woke up.  I ran 3 miles, showered, made some breakfast, and headed to work.  After about an hour at work I started to feel queasy.  Then I started rapidly going downhill.  I pride myself on maintaining a cheery disposition for my associates and customers, but dang, I was just trying to stay upright.  I tried to make it work.  I sat in the office for a little while.  I tried drinking some Sprite--my tummy was NOT happy about ingesting anything.  Eventually, I gave up with the good graces of the other manager on duty.

Worst car ride home.  Ugh.  I almost had to pull over a few times. 

When I got home, I felt dizzy with nausea.  I changed into my pjs (all while leaving my clothes on the floor which I never do) and proceeded to try to sleep.
I slept off and on, writhing in what felt like motion-sickness that wouldn't go away.  For awhile, I laid on one of the dog beds next to the toilet.  It was terrible.

This morning, because I had whacked out my sleep schedule, I was wide awake and miserable at 3am.  I literally was crawling in my own skin and couldn't sleep any more.  I emailed my boss around 4:30am to be proactive about the day.  There was no way I was going to be able to even drive myself to work based on how I was feeling.

Fortunately, things seemed to have crested.  I am far less nauseous and even managed to get a little bit of food down.  I still feel like someone knocked the #)$*)$# out of me--my body is sore like the flu without the other symptoms.  Hopefully I will continue to improve and I can just put this 24 hours of misery behind me. 

And I'll just have to be okay that my mileage this week will have to suffer like I did!!

No comments:

Post a Comment